Infantino said in a statement yesterday that Fifa would hold a conference call today in which it should accept those changes from Uefa and CONMEBOL and decide whether the planned expanded 24-team Club World Cup should be held “later in 2021, in 2022 or in 2023”.
The Ministers of Finance of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, the State of Kuwait…1258 | the publication reaches you by | Bahrain News
Both of them were postponed from their 2020 dates yesterday in response to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.
“Particularly in football, finding appropriate and fair solutions at global level is imperative,” Infantino said.
“This requires unity, solidarity and a shared sense of responsibility and we need to think of all those around the world potentially impacted by our decisions.”
Next year’s Club World Cup, scheduled for June 17-July 4, would be the biggest so far, taking place across eight Chinese cities. Eight European clubs are scheduled to take part with six from south America.
Infantino said part of Wednesday’s conference call would include discussions with the Chinese FA and Chinese Government in order to minimise any negative impact of a postponement.
With soccer grappling with a health crisis that has left around 7,500 dead, put countries into lockdown and decimated the sporting calendar, Fifa said it would recommend the ruling council make a donation of $ 10 million to the World Health Organisation’s (WHO) COVID-19 Solidarity Response Fund.
Infantino said discussions would also involve the possibility of establishing a Global Football Assistance Fund to “help members of the football community affected by this crisis”.
Do you have information you want to reach our readers?